You’re organizing a baby shower and you realized you need a theme! Having a baby shower theme can really bring a sense of fun and specialness to the party – as well as make the planning process a lot of fun! You can pick literally anything and babify it – with enough creativity you might just have a great time doing it, and an even better time celebrating the mother-to-be with a great baby shower theme.
That’s what it’s all about in the end: Saying congrats to the mother-to-be, and having a relaxed & good time.
Why choose a baby shower theme?
- It makes planning simpler: Once you have your theme, it’s easy to pick which plates you’ll need, which cups, which napkins, which table cloth and which decorations.
- It’s fun: As the organizer, your creativity will be stretched and you’ll get to give the guests (and mama-to-be) a completely unique experience that will make this baby shower stand out in the minds of your guests.
- It can be as personalized or simple as you wish
- It sets the mood & tone
- You can make your baby shower as simple as you want or as elaborate as you want. It doesn’t necessarily have to revolve around “babies” at all. If the parents to be are really into horse back riding… let’s say, or swing dancing, or chess or superheroes… Don’t hesitate to build your baby shower theme around that! Just consider your own desire to spend time looking for these specific themes represented on napkins and decorations.
You can also keep it really simple! Focus on the gender of the baby, or the mommy-to-be’s favorite color.
- It gives a sense of coherence & looks good!
- Simple looks good! Pick a theme, pick a few colors and go for it!
What to consider when you’re choosing your baby shower theme
- Mother’s preferences: She may have a strong opinion on the theme of her baby shower. Involve her. Alternatively, you can pick something simple about her for your baby shower theme. Her favorite color, her favorite hobby, how much she likes the “pink for girls”, “blue for boys”.
- Who’s coming: Typically men get weird when it’s TOO baby themed and cute. You want your guests to feel comfortable and have a good time.
- Your venue: Determine how much you can personalize the space and if it fits with your theme. A restaurant may be less easy to decorate than a home. A reception hall is more amenable to elegance than someone’s basement.
- Your own creativity reserves: You’ll need to pull it all together, so if you choose something very specific and personalized, you will have to get creative, investing time, energy and money. Simple is beautiful too.
- The parents’ to be’s hobbies: This is can be a great source of inspiration for your baby shower theme. Racecars?
- What’s easy to get: If you’re not taking a more traditional baby shower theme, running around finding the necessary decorations may become a bigger pain than you bargained for.
- How much time you have: If you’re going with something personalized, you will need a lot of time to be creative with the elements you’re missing. Or you will spend a long time looking for the perfect elements.
- What kind of a creative team you have: Are you organizing this by yourself? Or do you have a whole gang of helpers with whom it could be super fun to get creative with your baby shower theme? Does your creative team have all sorts of different ideas? And strong personalities? In that case a simple theme may be the simplest option to let everyone express their creativity, but with the color “purple” as constraint. It’ll hang together nicely.
- What is the tone and mood you want to set for this baby shower? Elegant and demure? Simple fun? Adorable family gathering?
Ideas for your baby shower theme
You can also NOT have a baby shower theme. Just have a party to congratulate the mother-to-be with gifts! Super simple. Or you can really make it an occasion with a theme. Inspiration is endless, and you can “babyfy” anything, organizing your games (and even gifts!) around your theme!
Here are some baby shower theme ideas:
Baby girl shower theme ideas:
Baby boy shower theme ideas:
- Glitter & Sparkles
- Sugar & Spice
- Bows & Belles
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s inspired shower
Personalized baby shower theme ideas:
- Cowboy theme
- Cars & trucks
- Lil Sailorman
- Baby toys
- Rockstar theme
- Disney theme baby shower
- Confetti baby shower
- Dream baby shower
- Baby’s Nursery
- Shabby Chic Theme
- Stork themed
- Airplane themed
- Old world glam
- Welcome to the world (globes and maps)
- Use a phrase and run with it playing on words. For example: Hello Kiddo, Hooray for Baby and Ready to Pop
- Rustic, Casual
- Bumblebee theme
- Turtle theme
- Elephant theme
- Girafe theme
- Baby animals
- Baby’s schedule (nap time, feeding…)
- Nursery rhymes, children’s literature (Dr. Seuss)
- Lullaby theme (moon & stars)
- Circus baby shower
- Specific Colours or patterns
- Religious themes
- Seasonal themes
- Themes from movies
- Babyfy anything!
- Safari baby shower theme
- Babies in groups (for twins or triplets!)
- Book theme
- Alphabet theme
- Robot inspired